City Ordinance Water



91.01 Definitions                                                                                                   91.08 Shutting OffWater Service

91.02 Abandoned Connections                                                                             91.09 Fire Hydrants

91.03 Tapping Mains                                                                                             91.10 Water Main Extensions

91.04 Failure To Maintain                                                                                      91.11 Main Extensions Outside City Limits

91.05 Location and Cost of Water Meters                                                             91.12 Water Loss; Administrative Inquiry

91.06 Maintenance and Repair of Water Meters                                                   91.13 Rates

91.07 Curb stop Valve


91.01 DEFINITIONS. The following terms are defined relating to the Water Service System:

  1. "Aid in construction" means fees collected prior to construction, which amount to the (at cost) expense of labor, equipment and materials.
  2. "Customer" means any entity or person receiving water service from the Lamoni Municipal Utilities.
  3. "General Manager" means the General Manager of the Municipal Utilities or any duly authorized assistant, employee or representative.
  4. "Water main" means a water supply pipe provided for public or community use which has a diameter equal to or larger than two inches.
  5. "Water service line" means that pipe from the water main to the building or property being served.
  6. "Water system" means all municipal facilities for securing, collecting, storing, pumping, treating and distributing water.

91.02  ABANDONED CONNECTIONS. When an existing water service is abandoned, the corporation stop valve shall be turned off and made absolutely watertight. The service line attached to said corporation stop shall be physically removed from the stop. Disconnection shall be the responsibility of the customer.

91.03  TAPPING MAINS. The property owner/customer is responsible for installing and maintaining the service line from the water main to the building or point of use. No connection fee is charged. The customer shall purchase and maintain: the corporation tapping saddle, corporation valve-stop, curb stop, and line. The Municipal Utilities will: tap the main, install and maintain the water meter per se. A remote meter reader may be provided where practical by the Municipal Utilities.

91.04  FAILURE TO MAINTAIN. When any portion of the water service line becomes defective, it is the responsibility of the property owner to correct the defective part or parts. Where defective service equipment creates a nuisance and the owner fails to correct the problem, the Municipal Utilities may do so and assess the costs thereof to the property owner/customer.

91.05  LOCATION AND COST OF WATER METERS. A standard water meter shall be provided to the customer and furnished to the customer without charge. Metering which requires volume above that required for a single-family residence may require that customer to pay the full cost of the meter; at the sole option of the Municipal Utilities the customer/property owner may be required to purchase and install such meter in accordance with the requirements established by the Municipal Utilities. All meters shall be located so that they are easily accessible to meter readers and repairmen, and protected from freezing. The Municipal Utilities shall be permitted to enter the premises of any customer at any reasonable time to read, remove, or change a meter. Water meters shall be tested for accuracy by the Municipal Utilities according to standard practice and within acceptable limits of accuracy.

91.06  MANTENANCE AND REPAIR OF WATER METERS. The water meter and remote reader will be maintained by Municipal Utilities within the scope of normal operation. Damages to meters caused by neglect, altering, or lack of frost protection will not be the responsibility of the Municipal Utilities. Repair or replacement costs outside of normal operation may be billed to the customer or responsible party.

91.07 CURB STOP VALVE. There shall be installed within the public right-of-way a shut-off valve on the water service line of a pattern approved by the Municipal Utilities. The curb-stop valve shall be constructed in a manner to be seen, even with the ground or pavement. It is the responsibility of the customer to maintain the curb stop valve and box.

91.08  SHUTTNG OFF WATER SERVICE. The Municipal Utilities may shut off the supply of water to any customer because of any violation of the regulations contained in this chapter. Discontinuation of service may continue until the General Manager has ordered the water to be turned on.

91.09  FIRE HYDRANTS. Fire hydrants are to be utilized by firefighters and Municipal Utilities workers. Unless specifically authorized by the General Manager, no person shall open or attempt to draw water from any fire hydrant. Bulk Hydrant Metered Direct Water Sales are available upon posting a hydrant meter deposit. A hydrant meter shall be attached and deposit paid prior to drawing water for sale from a fire hydrant. Fire service use, Municipal Utilities use, and metered hydrant use are the only legitimate applications for a fire hydrant. The taking of water with the intent to deprive the Municipal Utilities of expected remittance shall constitute theft as defined in Section 714.2 of the Code of Iowa.

91.10  WATER MAN EXTENSIONS. Water main extensions shall be located along public roads, streets, or right-of-ways where practical or within easements upon private property. The routing, location of appurtenances, and metering shall be determined by the Municipal Utilities. The Municipal Utilities shall maintain water mains throughout the distribution system, including replacement of mains as required. Extensions and upgrades to serve large customers, developments, or other special requirements within the City shall require a remittance to the Municipal Utilities of an aid in construction fee equal to the (at cost) expense of construction. Aid in construction fees shall be collected prior to the acquisition of materials and the initiation of the construction. Governments and public schools shall provide a bona fide purchase order or writ which will state the date of timely remittance, where aid in construction cannot be received before acquisition of parts and construction. The Municipal Utilities may construct or cause to be constructed water mains as required, to provide service and fire protection to areas within the City where extension is warranted.

91.11  MAIN EXTENSIONS OUTSIDE CITY LIMITS. The costs of main extensions and appurtenances shall be the responsibility of the party requesting same. Construction shall be in accordance with the Municipal Utilities' construction standards with the point of connection being determined by the Municipal Utilities. Upon completion and acceptance of the line, for the fee of $1.00 the Municipal Utilities may purchase the complete main with easements without cost to the aforementioned party.

91.12  WATER LOSS; ADMINISTRATIVE INQUIRY. The General Manager of the Municipal Utilities shall have administrative discretion, based on probable cause, to waive that portion of a customer billing where the sewer rate portion is calculated in instances where metered water is lost due to mechanical failure, losses caused by criminal activity or other bona fide circumstances where metered lost water does not enter the wastewater system. The Municipal Utilities shall bill and receive payment for lost water that passes through the meter per se.

91.13  RATES. Rates for water service and terms and conditions for billing and payment rate set out in Chapter 90.